Requirements for the certificate
The Jewish Studies certificate consists of seven courses:
- One course fulfilling the Pre-modern requirement
- One course in Literature, Philosophy, and the Arts
- One course in History and Social Science
- Two courses in Modern Hebrew
- Two additional courses in any of the above areas
For details, see the UW-Madison Guide.
Is it possible to switch from a certificate to a Jewish Studies major?
Yes, and there is considerable overlap between the two programs. To “upgrade” from a certificate to a major, most students just need to take a few additional courses. Contact undergraduate advisor Gwen Walker if you are interested in making the switch.